Don't mess with Texas' oldest ferry service
9/16/2014 | Words: Chuck Mahnken | Pictures: Lynchburg Ferry
2-Cycle engines, Series 71
The Lynchburg Ferry has a long history dating back to 1822, when it was known as Lynch's Ferry. In 1826, It played a vital role in Texas’ fight for independence. Today, the oldest ferry service in Texas is still hard at work – 16 hours a day, seven days a week – thanks to Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle engines.
Todd Shipyard built the William P. Hobby and Ross S. Sterling ferryboats in 1964. Powered by Detroit Diesel 2-Cycle 6-71NA engines, the two ferries continue to transport 1,500-2,000 vehicles every day starting each morning at 4:30am.
Both ferries are 61’8" in length and 8’9" in depth. Their gross weight is 110 tons, with a capacity of 12 vehicles. Depending on the wind, currents and traffic, each ferry can cross the 1080-foot channel between Lynchburg and La Porte in under ten minutes.
The content of the stories reflects the status as of the respective date of publication. They are not updated. Further developments are therefore not taken into account.